Saturday, October 18, 2014

How it progressed...

After getting married, my wife and I occasionally set up trips with friends and chartered boats in increasing size from a 35' Mackinaw Cutter on Lake Michigan

 to a Hunter 41 on the Chesapeake.












The introduction of children to all of our young families brought this chapter to a close.
As my children were growing up, they all loved being around water. When they reached an age where we felt comfortable taking them on a boating vacation, my wife and I decided to introduce them to sailing. The question was, "Where to go?". With the short attention span of most of our society today, I was concerned that selecting a location that would require long sails might poison the experience for them. Google to the rescue! (Or rather some other search engine as this was pre-google). Searches for the best sailing area routinely directed me to the British Virgin Islands. So in 1999 we made our first excursion to the BVI's. My kids loved it. I've been back there every second year since then. Along the way, we've introduced a number of friends to this floating oasis vacation paradise.
We've mostly sailed catamarans while in the BVI's due to their large interiors and stability which minimizes discomfort for non-sailors that we have introduced to this experience.

A few of the boats we've charted:





Lagoon 500



Hunter 46

PDQ 36

Horizon 56



Lagoon 450

Knysna 47

No comments:

Post a Comment